Systematic Student + YA

Review: Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram

Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram was a lot of fun to read. It's the story of a girl with comic book-like super powers struggling to deal with life and high school.

I absolutely love super heroes, and super hero movies/stories. I've seen all the Batman, Spiderman, X-Men etc movies they've been producing lately (although I've never gotten into Superman. Shrugs.) so when I saw this book, I knew I had to read it. I love the superhero idea (not to be confused with paranormal. There's definitely a difference) but you don't really see a lot of actual superheros in books lately.

Being Jamie Baker was a fun book with a really fun story, but it was also well written, well planned and very non-gimmicky. Although I was pretty excited for the book, I was a little worried that it was going to be one stereotype after another, but that isn't what this book was at all.

Jamie was completely normal a year ago, but a tragic car accident killed her boyfriend and left her with superpowers. Her natural senses (taste, touch, smell, hearing, and sight) are enhanced, she is super-fast and super-strong, and she is electrically charged. The electrical charge isn't really a problem until her emotions get out of control, and then lights start flickering or exploding, and heaven help anyone who's actually touching her. She's got a bit of a temper, and her temper is a scary thing to witness (unless you are just reading the book, and then it is absolutely awesomeness). The accident has also left her with a massive case of survivors guilt, and a huge fear of getting close to anyone, because she can't control her powers. She doesn't want to hurt anyone, and she can't risk anyone finding out her secret.

Jamie is a perfect character. Although she is completely hard core and just made of awesomeness, she is also a pretty typical teenage girl, who wants all things a normal teenage girl wants, but she feels like her superpowers make most of those things completely impossible, which is especially hard for her, because she used to have all of those things. So, when her parents move her from their small town Illinois home to Sacramento, Jamie becomes the Ice Queen. She isolates herself, both for her sake and theirs, and even if she isn't happy, at least she is content.

Well, that wouldn't make for much of a story, so enter Ryan Miller. He's honest, good looking, kind and incredibly sure of himself. His is the kiss that starts our Jamie's story, and he is the one who begins to get to know the real Jamie. He starts talking to her, and she keeps trying to brush him off. But, he's hot, she likes him, and no matter what she says to him, he's still interested. I really liked Ryan. He was perfect for Jamie. She needed someone completely sure of himself to break down the walls protecting her, because anyone else would have been discouraged long before getting to meet the real Jamie.

Although our main character happens to have the potential to become the world's greatest super hero, it's primarily a story about growing up and learning who you are and how to trust. I thought it was brilliantly done. Jamie learns about growing up at the same time she learns about her powers, and how to control and manage them.

The only thing that I would change about this book is something I can't share in detail, because it spoils something major, is the reaction both Jamie and Becky share to a semi-shared event. I know this doesn't make any sense if you haven't read the book, but you'll get it once you do. Although I understand their reaction, and the way they tried to handle things, I don't agree with how that was played out. (If you really want to know what I mean and don't mind huge spoilers, or know what I mean and want to add your thoughts, send me an email!)

Aside from that one concern, I loved this book. I enjoyed reading it, and read through it in one sitting. This was Oram's debut novel, which means there's a lot to look forward to in the future. This book is completely able to stand alone (and as far as I know is intended that way) and I am a little tired of the constant stream of series and sequels, but I must say, I would definitely read another story about Jamie. She's a girl I'd love to spend more time with!

*Disclaimer: I received this book through Star Book Tours.

art, book, happy, loved it but, movie, review, and more:

Review: Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram + YA