Systematic Student + YA

Review: Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Fixing Delilah is so much more than it appears. If this book is anything to judge by, Sarah Ockler is a writer to watch out for because she has an incredible ability to form realistic and wonderful characters, relationships and settings. I haven't believed so much in the actions of the characters I was reading about in a long time. I have been planning to read Twenty Boy Summer for a while now, but after reading this book, it's definitely higher up on my tbr now.

Delilah used to be a good girl, who got good grades and never got into trouble, the same way she used to be close to her mom. But her mom's job is demanding, and over the years, they spend less and less time together until all they seem to do it fight. And, Delilah is facing down a whole bunch of crap at school that she can't seem to get a handle on, and no one seems like who they are suppose to be anymore.

Delilah has legitimate problems at school and home and she reacts the only way she knows how. I was impressed by the way Ockler handled this. In order for Delilah to need 'fixing' she had to have some issues to begin with. I've read too many books in my life where the author gives us a 'troubled' teen complete with the stereotypical problems that are used to completely explain away and excuse bad behavior until some easy and magical fix comes along (like a new boyfriend...) . But Ockler never does that, not with any of the problems she sets up for her characters. She does give us reasons for the behaviors, but she never once treats them like an excuse. They are the catalyst, and perhaps the cause, but she always lets us know that her characters chose what their effect would be. I never felt like Ockler took the easy way out. I never once felt cheated as a reader.

I thought that Ockler was able to create a very believable family dynamic and each of the relationships in this book were truly great. I can't say enough times how believable I found this story to be. Her relationship with Patrick was perfect — a childhood friend who maybe, just might start to become a little bit more. Emily was a great addition as well, a friend for Delilah when she desperately needed one. Even her memories showed relationships, her loving grandfather, distant grandmother and her imagined connection to the father she never knew.

Both individually and in connection to others, Delilah was a very real character to me. I felt her pain and her happiness, despair and hope.

This was a strong read, one I highly recommend. It answers each question it brings up satisfactorily without over-exposing. This book reminds me once again why I really do prefer contemporary fiction. If Twenty Boy Summer is anywhere near as good as this was, Sarah Ockler will land on my instant to-read list forever.

*Disclaimer: I received this book through Around the World Tours.

art, book, Contemporary, pretty awesome, review, and more:

Review: Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler + YA