Systematic Student + top ten

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that made me cry

I haven't participated in this meme before, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish, but I read several blogs that do it fairly regularly. And, when I saw this weeks topic, I felt like I had to take part. I get really attached to well written fictional characters, and I cry more while reading books than I'd like to admit. So, here's my top ten (and I'm trying very hard to avoid any spoilers, so some of my comments will seem vague or strange. Apologies in advance, but no spoilers.:) (Other than the fact that each book is, for one reason or another, sad enough to make me cry.)

1. Where the Red Fern Grows: For anyone who knows me, Duh. If you don't, and you read my blog with any kind of regularity, you'll know soon. It's my favorite book of all time, I've read it over 50 times (I stopped counting a few years ago) and I sob every time I read it. (My review)

2. My Sister's Keeper: I scared my roommate with this one. I was sobbing when I finished. She came in to talk to me, and I'm sobbing on my bed. She didn't know I was reading and got all concerned, until I told her my book made me cry, and then she just gave me a bit of a weird look. I still can't talk about the ending in detail without tearing up...

3. The Hunger Games Trilogy: Obviously people are going to die. Look at the synopsis! You know going into this story, that most of the characters will end up dead. And then, you go ahead and love them anyway, and then can't believe when they really die! Sigh... (My review)

4. Harry Potter asst.: After so many books, you start to love these people, and when they are no longer there, I cry.

5. If I Stay: Have you read what this book is about? I cried. The whole time. I cried when her family and friends talked to her in the hospital, and I cried when she would remember certain memories happy times with her family. I had tears streaming down my face for the whole story. (My review)

6. The Forest of Hands and Teeth: Seriously? It's a book about zombies. People are going to die, and that's sad. (My review)

7. Walk Two Moons: Because Sal is such a great, strong character and the story is so full of hope and then I cried.

8. A Thousand Splendid Suns: Because the sad scene is twofold — one part full of love and life, and the next full of anger, hatred and injustice. My heart breaks.

9. Pack Up Your Troubles: A Collection of Verse: This book of poetry is not inherently sad. But, it was my grandfather's favorite book, and he used to quote poems from it all the time, and several of the poems were read by my father at his funeral. I got this book the Christmas after he died, and I teared up every time I touched it, or came across one of his favorites.

10. The Book Thief: Even though our narrator, Death, likes to give awful spoilers, I spent the whole book hoping he was wrong. And when he wasn't, I cried.

art, book, favorite, happy, poet, review, tear-jerkers, and more:

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that made me cry + top ten