Systematic Student + review

Once Upon a Time Series Favorites

There are so many books in the Once Upon a Time series and it's been so long since I've read many of them, that I just wanted to take a minute to give you a brief paragraph or so of my thoughts on each of the books in the series I consider my favorites. I'm going to give you a few tidbits here and there of parts of these stories that really stood out to me.

The Night Dance: A Retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" (Once Upon a Time)

I've made no secret of the fact that The Twelve Dancing Princesses is my favorite of all fairy tales. It has been since I was a little girl. So, I was especially excited to read Suzanne Weyn's retelling, The Night Dance. I love that this retelling ties in Arthurian Legends with the tale of the 12 princesses. That connection really made the story stand out to me and gave it much more strength that it would otherwise have had.

Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of "The Magic Flute" (Once Upon a Time)

I watched a stage production of Motzart's opera The Magic Flute, and it was stunning. I loved the music, the story and the costumes were beyond beautiful. (This link here will show you the costume design for the show I saw.) The retelling, Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey was beautiful. It is faithful to the spirit of the original while still bringing it's own pieces to the story. It is a retelling that honors the original while still adding much that is new.

Water Song: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince" (Once Upon a Time)

I had never read a novelized version of The Frog Prince before I read Suzanne Weyn's Water Song. I was initially a little bit worried, because how are you supposed to build a romance between a girl and a frog and make me believe their story. Weyn's decision to have our 'frog' be an injured American soldier (during WWI) who feels more at home on water than on land (he grew up in the Bayou) was brilliant.

Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of "Sleeping Beauty"

Cameron Dokey's version of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty Sleep is one of my favorites because I love Princess Aurore. She's a strong character who doesn't let her circumstances get the better of her. Unable to do traditionally princessy things, because they all require needles, she instead becomes very close to the people of her kingdom, and is willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to protect them. She is one of the strongest internal female leads in the series and I love her. The magic in this one, and the way the curse functions also fascinates me.

Snow: A Retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (Once Upon a Time)

Tracy Lynn's only addition to the series, Snow (Snow White) is one of my favorites because it is completely unlike any other retelling of any fairy tale I've read. Rather than obsessively checking her magic mirror, the evil queen here is a bit of a mad, evil scientist. She is so desperate for eternal youth and beauty, and the ability to thwart or overcome death that she performs unnatural experiments on people and animals, searching for the answer and the path it puts her on is very nearly deadly for our heroine.

Golden: A Retelling of "Rapunzel"

Cameron Dokey's version of Rapunzel is also a favorite because of it's uniqueness, and because it makes the witch a slightly more sympathetic character. In Golden, after the witch catches them in her garden, she makes the wife promise to give up her child if she cannot love her at first site. Recklessly the beautiful woman agrees and when she gives birth, she cannot find it in her heart to love her bald child. And so, the witch takes her, names her Rapunzel and loves and raises her with all the love she has to give. It isn't until nearer to the end of the story when we meet the character traditionally known as Rapunzel, locked in the tower with beautiful golden hair and the combining of these two lives is magical.

So there you have it. The books in the series that, as of right now, I claim as my favorites. There were many more I could have listed, many more I could have shared short snippets of why I loved them, but I don't want to overwhelm you, and it's not much of a favorites list if I include every title! I did include a list of books below that were almost, but not quite favorite enough to be included on this list. Have you read any of the Once Upon a Time series? Which books are your favorites?

Honorable mentions: Midnight Pearls (The Little Mermaid); Winter's Child (The Snow Queen); The World Above (Jack and the Beanstalk); The Storyteller's Daughter (The Arabian Nights tales); and Wild Orchid (Mulan)

art, book, Event — Fairy Tale Fortnight, fairy tales, favorite, legend, music, and more:

Once Upon a Time Series Favorites + review