Systematic Student + teach

Today is the start of Banned Books Week. Let's celebrate those challenged books!

This week, September 25 — October 2, is Banned Books Week. It is a "Celebration of the freedom to read." How great is that? There is a full week dedicated to readers and promoting the freedom for us to chose which books we want to read. But it's more than that. It's more than just celebrating our right to read. It's also about standing up to those who wish to limit our ability to do so. So many great and wonderful books, directed to all age groups are challenged or banned every year. Complaints are made regarding everything from violence and profanity, to sexual content and drugs. Perhaps the most common is 'unsuited to age group'. It's a catch all, one that I feel is used as a label with people don't want to admit the real reason they oppose the book. Although, I will say that I laugh when it's applied to certain books like My Sister's Keeper. Although it's true that a lot of young adults read it, it's marketed as an adult book. But, sorry guys, you 30, 40, 50+ can't read it, because it's actually unsuitable for your age. Seriously people, come on.

As I've mentioned and I'm sure you've noticed, censorship is something that really bothers me. I don't like it when people think they are more entitled to make a decision about what I can or cannot handle reading than I do. What makes you the expert? And what gives you the right to decide that it's unacceptable for everyone just because you are uncomfortable with it. It makes me sad and angry and upset and conflicted and all sorts of other things that are often hard to express. And, when something bothers me, especially if it makes me angry, I talk about it. A lot. I love that I now have this blog, which allows me to reach more people, share my thoughts and feelings with people all over the world. But, with the topic of censorship, I really feel like I'm preaching to the choir. Out of all the book blogs I've read and visited, not one has been pro censorship. The general consensus seems to be that it's perfectly fine to limit or censor what you read, what your children read, and what you allow into your home, it is never okay to expand that viewpoint into the general population. Or that it's fine to ask a teacher to offer an alternative reading option if you, as a parent or as the reader are uncomfortable with the subject matter, but that it is never okay to deny the entire class (and future classes) the opportunity to read that book.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going to be the next crusader. I'm going to hop onto my metaphorical white steed and crush the seeds and roots of censorship, injustice, and cruelty beneath my the astounding might and strength of my brilliant mind. But other days, I feel the only people I reach are those who already wholeheartedly agree with me. Book bloggers all over the world have been complaining about and railing against Wesely Scroggins and his offensive view of books all week, but I doubt any of that has changed his opinion. I actually doubt that he's even heard about most of it. He might have seen the article Laurie Halse Anderson wrote in response to his, because it was printed in his local paper, but has he seen the public outcry online? I doubt it. So, is it worth it? Does it matter?

Ya. It definitely does. But there is even more that we can do.

This banned books week, try to do something new that can spread the word farther. Donate a banned book to the library — public or school — that they don't already have. Write a (polite and non-inflammatory) letter to the editor for your local paper. Attend school board meetings where they discuss whether to ban specific books challenged by community members and share your thoughts and feelings there. And don't limit your activity to banned books week. This is an ongoing challenge across the world. It's not something that is unimportant during the rest of the year. If someone in your community challenges a book, stand up for it. Donate copies to students you think would benefit from it.

I'd love to hear what you are trying to do to combat censorship and promote freedom of expression. Feel free to leave me a comment or a link to a post telling me what you've done to try and end censorship.

art, book, discussion, student, and more:

Today is the start of Banned Books Week. Let's celebrate those challenged books! + teach