Systematic Student + travel

Memory Monday: Allison is our guest today!!

Today's Memory Monday guest is Allison! She has one of my favorite blogs, and she is here to talk about a childhood favorite that was also a favorite of mine!
If you would like to be a guest blogger for Memory Monday, in my blog to find out more information, or send me an email! I'd love to have you!

Bio:

My name is Allison. I'm in my twenties, and I live in Oklahoma. I attend OU in Norman and hope that someday I will actually finish school and end up with my Masters in Library Science! I'd love to be a young adult librarian so I can get paid to do what I spend all my time doing already! I'm an unapologetic book pusher and Patrick Rothfuss fangirl.

I would also like to add that Allison is the phenomenal blogger over at The Allure of Books. If you haven't checked out her blog, you are definitely missing out! Head on over there and leave her some loving!

Post:

When I start thinking about books that impacted my life when I was a kid, several series come to mind. However, none of them had a more lasting influence than the American Girls series Felicity books by Valerie Tripp. I read all the American Girl books that were out when I was younger (there are more now), but the Felicity books were definitely the most special to me.

My parents are big antique collectors, and as far back as I can remember, my mom was especially caught up with both the antiques and the history of Colonial Williamsburg. I learned a lot about the time period from her, so when I read the Felicity books, the time period already felt familiar. I was captivated by everything — from the clothes to the proper etiquette to the politics. Felicity's family were patriots, and the tension that caused them was a large part of the stories. The idea of standing up for something you believe in (especially when it isn't easy) is a cornerstone of the series, and Felicity definitely isn't afraid to stand by her family! I loved imagining myself in her place and being spunky and adventurous like she was.

I remember sitting in my dad's lap while he read the books aloud to me (the only time I ever remember that happening!), and I know I read them with my mom as well. I loved collecting different items from the series besides the books... paper dolls, stickers, etc. One Christmas, I even got a Felicity doll! (Since I'm home for Spring Break, I was able to take a picture since my mom still has it sitting out.) Also, since buying things from the catalog was always really expensive, my awesome parents even made things to go with it, like this bed! My dad built it and my mom made the bed linens. Loved it.

We even took a vacation to Colonial Williamsburg one year. I'd mostly grown out of the American Girl books by then, but I still loved walking down the streets and eating different things and getting a clearer picture of how Felicity and her family lived!

So even though I read a lot as a kid, the Felicity books are definitely the ones that hold the most memories. Having the doll and getting to go to Colonial Williamsburg definitely made her story much more personal for me. Anybody else remember Felicity (or any of the other American Girls)?

Thank you so much Allison, for being here with us today! I absolutely loved the post, and am very jealous of your handmade American Girl bed!

art, book, childhood faves, favorite, guest, history, Memory Monday, and more:

Memory Monday: Allison is our guest today!! + travel