Systematic Student + review

Memory Monday — Serendipity!

Would you like to share your memories too?! Just click and fill out the form to be a guest blogger, or just shoot me an email! I'd love to hear what you remember reading!

Because I am feeling rather nostalgic today, being that it is the first of the year and all, I thought I would talk today about the first books I remember having any experience with at all.
When I was little (like, 2) I had a hard time falling asleep at night. I used to get up all the time, ask for drinks, walk around, make noise etc. It didn't take long to really annoy my parents, because I wouldn't stay in bed. Nothing they tried worked, but they knew I loved to look at books, and I loved snuggling with my parents while they read my older sister and I stories.

So, my parents made a deal with me. I could stay up as long as I wanted and 'read' my books, as long as I promised to stay in bed, and be quiet. If I got up, or made noise they would take the books away. So, they left me a stack of books almost as tall as I was next to my bed and let me 'read'. And, for the most part, it worked.

The majority of the stack was made up of books by Stephen Cosgrove in the Serendipity series. They are fairly short picture books with poem like text. There are generally 4-8 lines per page, across from a vividly colored picture. And the last page is always the moral of the story, in the form of a 4 line poem.

I remember reading and loving those books all growing up. My mom would read them to us over and over, and when I got old enough to read on my own, I'd still go back and read them again. They are pretty hard to find now, but I look for copies in used bookstores and thrift shops any time I stop in. I've gotten lucky quite a few times, and I get so excited every time I find a new copy.

Does anyone else remember reading or seeing these books? I'd love to hear what you remember!

art, book, childhood faves, Memory Monday, and more:

Memory Monday — Serendipity! + review